Peer Support Specialist - Phoenix
La Frontera EMPACT-SPC (Suicide Prevention Center), a member agency of La Frontera Arizona, is an industry leading non-profit organization dedicated to providing valued community services and resources for behavioral health counseling, crisis intervention, and suicide prevention since 1987. This is a great opportunity for Peer Support to join our agency in our Apache Junction office location. We are an EEO/AA employer.
Are you looking for a career to help people but do not have a a degree in behavioral health. Lived experience is valuable to us as we are looking for a Full Time Peer Support Specialist. A qualified candidate will have personal experience in receiving behavioral health services, have successfully navigated through the behavioral health system, and is ready to help other on their personal journey .
The primary responsibilities of the Peer Support Specialist position are to model the skills necessary to maneuver within the behavioral health system and other community programs, serving as a system guide and advocate. This role provides direct support to the individual served and act as an active member of the Adult Recovery Team. *Peer Support Specialist certification is required.*
Skills / Requirements
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Assist the individual served in developing and implementing a self-directed recovery plan, by sharing your own experience, providing support, teaching self-management techniques and reassurance. Follow up and assist with the needs identified in the plan.
- Locate and orient the individual served to additional informal supports available in the community and help get them connected. Provide assistance in completing applications for community resources as needed. Participate with team members and agency staff in identifying and removing barriers within the behavioral health system. Provide strengths-based, community-based and culturally competent services for individuals served.
- Deliver 40 hours of work per week, with a goal of 30 hours direct client contact, which includes case management as needed. Productivity standards established at a minimum of once a year and as needed due to contract changes. Evening and weekend hours may be required to accommodate the schedules of individuals served. Attend meetings and trainings as requested. Attend regular scheduled weekly supervision. Seek out additional supervision as needed. Complete all tasks agreed upon by timelines given.
- Develop and collaborate with an extensive network of community based and RHBA resources. The Peer Support person must know how to access various social/behavioral health community based services that can include but is not limited to: food, clothing, support services, and crisis stabilization/transition services. This can also include making necessary appointments, assisting with scheduling or arranging SMI evaluations when applicable.
- Produce complete, timely, thorough, quality clinical documentation of all services rendered, both billable and non-billable, as required. The documentation must include sufficient information about the activity being documented and the client’s participation in, and response to, the activity.
Other Duties and Responsibilities: Describe the other duties and responsibilities of this position.
- Perform those assignments agreed to in the team meeting and defined in job description, and provide on-going support by being there to listen or help them in communicating what is and isn't working. Also at the individuals request and when appropriate, meet with system staff and supervisors to continuously improve quality of processes.
- Maintain a professional demeanor and positive working relationships and effective ongoing communication with all referring organizations, behavioral health clients, parole officers, case managers, service coordinators and school personnel.
- Participate in identifying training needs of Peer Support Specialists and co-workers in applying the Arizona Recovery model.
- Position requires driving of company van and/or personal vehicle. Must maintain a valid Arizona driver's license at all times.
- Recommend to Clinical Coordinator or Manager changes that would improve service delivery.
- Participate in agency fund raising activities as requested by management.
A qualified candidate must possess a High School Diploma or GED, as well as, Peer Support Certification.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 361-182-0929