Veterans Court Mentor (Lead) -
EMPACT-SPC (Suicide Prevention Center), a member agency of La Frontera Arizona, is an industry leading non-profit organization dedicated to providing valued community services and resources for behavioral health counseling, crisis intervention, and suicide prevention since 1987. EMPACT-SPC is an EEO/AA employer.
The Lead Veterans Court Mentor works specifically with military veterans in the justice system, and their families involved in the Veterans Court process. This position serves as a bridge for veterans in the Veterans Court system by assigning mentors to them in order to provide support and help in coordinating RBHA, VA, and other Community based resources.
- Coordinate, recruit, and oversee veteran volunteers/mentors involved in the Veterans Court Mentor Program. Select and train a Mentor Coordinator for each Court to assist in providing administrative supervision and fulfill any/all administrative tasks relative to mentors in that Court.
- Train new staff/volunteers to assure basic competencies of new and existing staff.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all related state, community mental health, and contracting organizations.
- Provide assistance in collaborating with partners, other community services, and programs as client needs indicate.
- Coordinate direct services, including crisis intervention, support, transportation, and education to Veterans and their families, independently of, or in conjunction with, other in-home client services.
- Maintain accurate and thorough documentation consistent with agency requirements.
- Assist and/or coordinate the planning and implementation of fund raising activities and events related to community relations with the Veteran and military community.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in all regularly scheduled administrative, in-service, and department staff meetings.
- Recommend changes that would improve services, and implement changes as directed by the Coordinator, Program Manager, and/or Director.
- Other duties as assigned by Coordinator, Program Manager, and/or Director.
Skills / Requirements
Must have served in any branch of the armed forces.. Must have extensive knowledge of military armed forces and understand services available, primarily the Veterans Administration, to assist our veterans and family members of service members. Must have extensive knowledge of the Veteran’s Court System and processes. Minimum of two years of community based behavioral health service preferred.
Skills: Ability to build relationships with the Veterans Courts professional staff and within the service area – especially military personnel, veterans, service member family members, behavioral health and human services organizations, and other community stakeholders. Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Demonstrated ability to remain calm in crisis situations, work independently and cooperatively, recognize personal limitations, and relate positively and with empathy to all persons regardless of age, race, creed, gender or sexual orientation.
Maintain professional conduct consistent with ethical professional practice and the policies and procedures of the agency.
Maintain a professional demeanor and positive working relationships with internal and external team members, stakeholders, and community and business partners.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 841-082119