Peer Support Navigator (Supportive Housing)
Are you looking for a career to help people but do not have a degree in behavioral health. Lived experience is valuable to us as we are looking for a Peer Support Navigator. A qualified candidate will have personal experience in receiving behavioral health services, have successfully navigated through the behavioral health system, and is ready to help others on their personal journey .
La Frontera EMPACT-SPC (Suicide Prevention Center), a member agency of La Frontera Arizona, is an industry leading non-profit organization dedicated to providing valued community services and resources for behavioral health counseling, crisis intervention, and suicide prevention since 1987. This is a great opportunity for Peer Support Navigator to join our agency in our Tempe location . We are an EEO/AA employer.
Peer Support Navigators (Supportive Housing) provide case management, emotional support, mentoring, advocacy, life skills training, respite services, crisis intervention and transportation for chronically homeless adults who have been identified through the behavioral health system or other referral sources approved by Mercy Maricopa. These service recipients have been identified as high risk/high utilizers of the crisis/behavioral health system and the Peer Support Navigator serves as an ongoing support to them with the overall goal of decreasing the dependence on higher cost services, such as ER/hospitals/Crisis services, etc. by keeping them engaged with RBHA outpatient services and community and natural supports.
PEER SUPPORT NAVIGATOR - SUPPORTIVE HOUSING: WED - SAT (9A-7P) at Madison
PEER SUPPORT NAVIGATOR - SUPPORTIVE HOUSING: SUN - WED (9A-7P) at Madison
Skills / Requirements
- Meets with service recipients in the community as referred. Assists in mapping out the most appropriate next steps for the individual who may need assistance in accessing various other providers or community based services.
- Develops and collaborates with an extensive network of Community Based and RBHA resources, including homeless shelters and coordinated assessment. The Navigator must know how to access various social/behavioral health community based services that can include but is not limited to: food, clothing, housing, support services, and Outpatient Crisis Stabilization/Transition services. This can also include making necessary appointments, assisting with scheduling/transporting or arranging SMI evaluations and Outpatient Stabilization/Transition services when applicable.
- Maintains accurate and thorough documentation in progress notes and in the client's record, including EMPACT’s electronic records system, HMIS, and HOME Link.
- Provides peer support, helping the participant develop and implement self-directed recovery plan, sharing experience, providing support, teaching self-management techniques and reassurance.
- Requires competency (via specialized training) in the following areas:
*In Home Safety
*AHCCCS eligibility/Affordable Health Care Act
*Trauma Informed Care
*Harm Reduction Model
* Understanding of SAMHSA Permanent Supportive Housing Toolkit
*Principles of Housing First Model
*Use SPDAT and VI-SPDAT tools
*Other identified peer specialist and system training
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Additional responsibilities may include:
- * Facilitating appointments with treatment providers for behavioral health assessments when
* Coordinate post-crisis/stabilization transportation
* Assisting recipients in obtaining Birth Certificates and/or other forms of
acceptable identification if needed
* Identifying transportation options
* Referral for SMI evaluations when criteria are met.
* Coordinating housing with community shelters, apartments, and housing facilities
- Recommends to the Coordinator or Program Manager changes that would improve service delivery.
- Participates in agency fund raising activities as requested by management.
- Position requires driving of company van and/or personal vehicle. Must maintain a valid Arizona driver's license and appropriate liability insurance at all times. Also requires eligibility for liability coverage with EMPACT’s insurance carrier.
- Minimum of HS Diploma or equivalent.
- One (1) year work experience in behavioral health field, recent (within last 2 years) preferred.
- Must have a personal experience in behavioral health having received services with Regional Behavioral Health Authority (RBHA) personally.
- Peer Certification in Arizona is preferred.
- Knowledge / use of SPDAT is a plus.
- Must identify as recipient of mental health services, substance abuse services or experienced homelessness in Maricopa County.
- Experience with community behavioral health system.
- Must have Fingerprint clearance card / or eligible to obtain one.
- Must have a valid AZ driver's license with no major infractions in the past three years.
- Must have regular access to reliable transportation
- Bi-lingual (Spanish) Diff per hour available.
Additional Requirements and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm in crisis situations, work independently and cooperatively, recognize personal limitations, and relate positively and with empathy to all persons regardless of age, race, creed, gender or sexual orientation.
- Maintain professional conduct consistent with ethical professional practice and the policies and procedures of the agency.
- Maintain a professional demeanor and positive working relationships with internal and external team members, stakeholders, and community and business partners.
- If driving while on agency time or on agency business, a valid Arizona driver license and appropriate liability insurance and approval for liability coverage with EMPACT - SPC’s liability insurance carrier is required.
- Attend meetings, training, and agency activities and events outside of regularly scheduled work hours upon request.
- Maintain compliance with required training.
- Additional duties as assigned by supervisor or member of management.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 350-01092020